We always carry at least minimal first aid supplies when we travel. The more remote the location we are traveling to, the more comprehensive the kit that we carry.
It is important that you know how to use the supplies that you carry. At the very least, take a basic first aid class. If you will be traveling to remote locations, strongly consider taking more in-depth training.
Remember: ‘An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.‘ Talk with your doctor, check for possible health concerns at your destination, and get necessary vaccinations before you travel. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention offers a comprehensive list of health information listed by country.
We like to split our first aid supplies into two quart size freezer bags and each carry one in our pack. If we are flying, we will add a third that contains liquids to make getting through security easier. For day trips once we are at our destination, we toss the quart bags into a gallon freezer bag and carry it in our day pack.
Research the countries that you are traveling to, and through, to ensure that all of the medications that you are carrying are legal. If you are carrying prescription medications, make sure that the prescriptions are current and carry the medications in the original packaging with the information leaflet.
Our Basic Kit:
First Aid #1
- Dramamine (Motion Sickness) – 6 doses
- Aleve (Pain Reliever, Fever Reducer) – 15 tablets
- Azycin (Traveler’s Diarrhea) – 6 doses
- Imodium – 30 caplets
- Pepto Bismol – 40 caplets
- Day Time Cold Medicine – 6 doses
- Night Time Cold Medicine – 6 doses
- Senolax (Laxative) – 5 doses
- Benadryl (Anti-histamine) – 8 tablets
- Cophartussin (Cough Relief) – 10 doses
First Aid #2
- Matches – 1 box
- Medical Tape – 10 meters
- Cotton Swabs – 6
- Irrigation Syringe
- 2” Cotton Gauze Wrap- 2 packs
- 3” X 5 Yards Elastic Bandage – 1 Pack
- Safety Pins – 7
- Adhesive Bandages – 6
- Maxi-pads (great for stopping heavy hemorrhaging) – 2
- 4” X 4” Gauze Pad – 4
- Disposable Latex-free Exam Gloves – 2 pairs
First Aid – Liquid
- Triple Antibiotic Ointment – .5 oz
- Clove Oil for Toothaches – 10 ml
- Povidone-Iodine Antiseptic – 15 ml
- Hydrocortisone 1% Ointment – 15 g
- Canazol-Be Cream (Anti-fungal) – 5 g
- Systral Cream (Anti-itch) – 10 g
Other standard health items that we carry easily accessible in our day pack:
- Insect Repellant
- Alcohol-based Hand Sanitizer
- Contact Information Card (Emergency Phone Numbers)
- Copy of Travel Insurance